Happy New Year everyone!! I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas and New Year. I can’t believe that it’s all over and it’ll soon be back to work. Booo!
2015 started with me sat at my sewing machine, making my spotty Delphine skirt from Tilly’s Love at First Stitch book. The clock struck midnight as I was making it but I didn’t realise it was a new year until later. I was so engrossed with sewing! A fabulous way to bring in the new year! That skirt was a big moment for me, as it’s the first thing I made successfully, that I wear often. It made me realise I can actually sew!
Other items I made in 2015 included an unsuccessful By Hand London Charlotte skirt, a second pair of Margot PJ bottoms, Tilly’s Francoise dress, knickers, By Hand London’s Georgia Dress, Megan dress, Simplicity 1370 Leopard print skirt, a couple of Named Shadi Knit Skirt’s, Curtains for my sewing room and Named’s Inari Tee dress. I actually made a lot more than I thought I had!
My favourite make was probably my stripy Shadi Knit skirt. I love it! I wear it all the time and often get complemented on it! I also love my Inari tee dress and my leopard print skirt. It was nice to be able to make my own version of high street clothing. This is something I want to do more of in 2016.
Unfortunately, as I’m not good at fitting, my Charlotte skirt and Georgia dress weren’t as successful as I’d hoped. I also decided I didn’t like the fabric I used for the skirt so I’ve thrown them both away. I love both patterns though, so hope to make them again with more luck!
I wrote a list of skills that I hope to master in 2015
Skills to master
I want to generally become more accurate with sewing, measuring, cutting and finishing garments. I think this will come with practise and as I build up my skills and equipment.– My accuracy has definitely improved, but this is an ongoing skill! Insert an invisible zip– done this several times, getting better each time!
- Sew on buttons and make buttonholes – I’m currently working on two patterns which involve buttons.
- Draft my own patterns – or at least standard pattern blocks for my shape
Develop my knowledge of fabrics and what works well for different patterns and garments– this has gotten better but is still an ongoing process!
- Applying pockets
Setting in a sleeve– Megan dress!
- Creating a flat neckline
- Pattern matching – attempted this on my stripy Shadi knit skirt with some success!
- Fitting clothes correctly
- Making my own bias binding
Making underwear– made knickers! Now want to make bras!
- Applying piping
All in all, a successful sewing year. I would’ve liked to had more time to sew and make more things, but don’t we all!
Plans for 2016
I’m currently making a Sew Over It vintage shirt dress. This is my first Sew Over It pattern and I’m loving it! This will allow me to use buttons and button holes!
I’ve also got Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers to make and Tilly’s Arielle Skirt! These are the patterns that I’ll be making in the very near future!
Other patterns I want to make are:
- All of Tilly’s patterns, including finishing working through Love at First Stitch!
- Another attempt at By Hand London’s Georgia dress
- Some basic Tshirts – maybe using Scout Tee or Emmeline Tee pattern
- Grainline Studio Morris blazer
- Grainline Studio Archer shirt – still not made this!
- Some casual trousers from GBSB book 3 – aka secret pyjamas!
There are loads of patterns that I love and want to make, these are just the ones that are near the top of my list! I also want to use my Sew Over It vintage book to make bodice blocks and tops from that.
Skills to master:
- FITTING! This is probably my biggest obstacle! I’m going to get a pattern making book so I can draft my own blocks and then use these to help when making clothes!
- Buttons & button holes
- Making bias binding
- Buy a cutting mat and rotary cutter
- Buy an overlocker
- Create my own sew in labels!
- Make a bra
- Continue to develop accuracy and understanding of fabric
So these aren’t skills, but they will all improve my sewing!
I think there’s plenty there to keep me going all year!