I love a new year as it feels like a fresh start and a chance to improve myself in various ways. I have lots of new years resolutions, such as lose weight, drink less… that will no doubt be broken by the end of the week! With my lack of success with resolutions in mind, I’m calling this my ‘to do’ list instead! As I’m very new to sewing, there’s lots of patterns I want to make and skills to learn!
I’ve split my list into two sections: patterns and skills. It’ll be interesting to review this at the end of the year!
Patterns to make:
- By Hand London’s Charlotte Skirt
- By Hand London’s Holly jumpsuit
- By Hand London’s Georgia dress
- Grainline Studio Scout Tee
- Grainline Studio Archer shirt
- Tilly’s Francoise Dress
- The rest of Tilly’s Love at First Stitch Patterns – Megan Dress, Mimi Blouse, Lilou Dress & Clemence Skirt
- Sew Over It’s Silk Cami
- Named Clothing’s Blair Batwing Shirt
- The Little Tailoress’s Emmeline Tee
There’s loads more patterns that I want to make but I think this is enough for now!
Skills to master
- I want to generally become more accurate with sewing, measuring, cutting and finishing garments. I think this will come with practise and as I build up my skills and equipment.
- Insert an invisible zip
- Sew on buttons and make buttonholes
- Draft my own patterns – or at least standard pattern blocks for my shape
- Develop my knowledge of fabrics and what works well for different patterns and garments
- Applying pockets
- Setting in a sleeve
- Creating a flat neckline
- Pattern matching
- Fitting clothes correctly
- Making my own bias binding
- Making underwear
- Applying piping
Am I being too ambitious? Probably, but ambition is good!
If anyone has any advice or can point in the direction of helpful tutorials, you will be one of my favourite people!
What’s on your to-sew list?